Tuesday, October 19, 2010

WHEN GOD WALKED THE EARTH CHAPTER 28
God helps a disabled man to get married

It was very hot ,the sun was merciless and God stood sweating in a long winding queue .Indera who was watching His discomfort from above,appeared before Him and said with folded hands,”lord I can not see you in this condition,your vehicle Garud has come with me,please be seated on him and go where ever you please”
“do you want to make a laughing stock out of me?”,God asked in irritation’every one on this earth travels in these huge monsters which they call buses and you want me to ride a bird”.Just then a bus arrived and there was much jostling and pushing,with great difficulty God got in and to His good luck He immediately got a seat,besides Him already seated was a young man who had no forearms,seeing God looking at his forearms,he flashed a winsome smile and said,”I have lost my forearms in a train accident.I fell under a running train whilst crossing the platform and since both my arms were crushed under the wheels of the trains the doctors had to amputate them”.There was not an iota of bitterness in his voice,just an acceptance of his misfortune.Soon the bus conductor appeared,he punched a ticket, slipped it into his pocket and drew out a twenty rupee note from there returning the change to his pocket.The man wordlessly smiled his thanks ,he was obviously a regular traveler on this route and was known to the conductor.The mans utter helplessness moved God,without the use of his hands he must be totally dependant on others,inspite of this major handicap he was well groomed with clean clothes,well oiled hair and polished shoes,God could see that his handicap had not stopped him his zest for life,nor had it undermined his cheerful disposition,the cheerful smile seemed to be perpetually stamped on his face.Full of admiration God asked him,”do you have any one else in your family”
“I have an old mother who looks after me,I don’t know what will I do when she is gone”,God could detect a trace of sadness in his voice
Suddenly a small girl came and stood before him and she shouted,”see didi this man here has no hands”
All the eyes fell on this man who was obviously accustomed to such barbs ,he smiled at the child without a trace of rancor and said, ”my child I was born like you ,but due to my carelessness I met with a train accident and I lost my hands ,in my spare time I go to the railway station and stop people from crossing the railway lines ,showing them my own example ’Acutely embraced the childs sister ordered her to say sorry to the man,the child said sorry to the man and went and stood besides her sister’
God liked the look of the girl,he decided to be a match maker,the man needed a life partner to look after him and what better life partner could he get then this girl standing close to him,without giving a further thought,God looked deep into the girls heart and the girl suddenely felt attracted to the man,They both alighted at the same stop,the girl hired a cab and got into the back seat along with her sister,since there was no other taxi in sight the young man requested the girl to give him a lift,she readily agreed and the young man sat in the front seat,” you have a cute little sister ”,he remarked looking at the small girl kindly, ”where do you work?”
“I work at nariman point but today I am going to Bombay hospital my father is being discharged from the hospital today and I am going to take him home ”,was her reply
“then let us first drop you ,I am going further to Crawford market” .As she was alighting from the cab .the man remarked”you have not told me your name”
“my name is Radha and what is your name”
“my name is Mohan.”,both of them exchanged addresses ,the celestial match makers shafts started working immediately because on the very next day,Mohan arrived at Radha’s office and took her to a restaurant for a cup of coffee
Goddess Laxshmi who was the spectator to all the events chided God,”do you know Radha is getting married in a weeks time”
“so what? I will break the wedding?”,God replied airily
“and how will you do it?
“the groom will refuse to marry her”
“do you think her father will accept an armless man as his son- in - law?, asked the Goddess
“to maintain his respect in society he will accept Mohan as his son –in -law”, maintained God
“and then-------“,asked the Goddess
“and then devi they will live happily ever after”,God said in a confident voice
“why do you have to interfere in peoples lives,why don’t you allow them to live according to their karmas?”
“it’s the fault of my heart it is always goading me on to do good,I can not see my children unhappy and to make them happy I do all these things ”said God cheekily

As predicted by God ,on the day of the wedding the groom refused to marry her till he was given five lakhs in cash and a car,Radha refused to marry the greedy groom,her father was willing to give the dowry but she was firm in her refusal she went a step further and warned the groom to leave immediately otherwise she threatened to call the police and have him arrested,hurriedly the groom left along with his entourage
“now what will we do, who will marry you now?”,her father lamented
“I will marry her”.said Mohan who had come to attend the wedding
“you”, Radha’s father said eyeing him from up and down ”I will not marry her to a handicapped man who has no hands,I am willing to look after her all my life”.
“whats wrong with him father”.Radha asked him”he is not demanding any dowry from you besides he is well educated and earning a decent salary”
“how do you know so much about him?”,questioned her father
“I know him since the last six months and we are good friends,I don’t mind getting married to him”,said Radha
“please reconsider your decision my child,the man is handicapped he wont be able to take care of you”,said her father
“I will become his hands”,replied Radha in a stubborn voice
Her father had no other option but to marry her with Mohan.God who was watching every thing was very happy for both of them,”you look very happy my lord”. observed the Goddess
“yes I am happy in their happiness”,agreed God
“today they are happy but what about their future?”,asked the Goddess
“they will beget children like every one else and be happy and contented”.replied God
“I hope your prediction comes true”,said the Goddess
God looked at her and asked”from your tone I can gauge that some thing is wrong,what is it devi tell me
“when the time comes you will come to know yourself”,replied the Goddess


After his marriage Mohan took Radha to his village Jonti which was situated on Delhi Haryana border.Mohan was a successful farmer,Jonti was a small and a prosperous village which had a few hundred houses.Mohan and Radha genuinely loved each other and they had left Bombay to live in the pure and healthy atmosphere of the village,there was a complete harmony between them in body,mind and soul,they were utterly devoted to each other and for six months they lived in pure bliss,then suddenly a thunder storm broke over their heads and their love was torn apart by the village panchayat
The villagers came to know that the gotra of Radha was Dagar and that of Mohan was Ghelawat,and then all hell broke loose,The village panchayat called an urgent meeting and declared Mohan and Radha as brother and sister and asked Radha to tie a rakhi to Mohans wrist.
According to folklore about five hundred years ago ,a rich man belonging to ghelawat gotra gifted many acres of land to dagra gotra and made them his brothers,and both parties declared on solemn oath that hence forth they would not marry amongst each other,therefore according to villagers both Mohan and Radha had committed a grave crime by marrying one another,therefore they had to undo what they had done unknowingly and live as brother and sister.Mohan was on the verge of losing his sanity and Radha who refused to give into panchayat’s insanity was asked to leave the village
“all your plans of making them live happily ever after have gone haywire my lord”,remarked Goddess Laxshmi”how will you help the two of them to get out of this tragic situation?”,
“I have no idea,do you have any idea?”.
“since it was your idea to make Mohan happy,you have to think abot a way of bringing back his happiness”,replied the mother in a terse voice
“the idea has just hit me,I am leaving devi”
“where are you going?”,
“to Jonti village”Soon dressed as a mendicant,He went and seated Himself under a peepal tree chanting Gods name villagers who passed that way found the mendicant so attractive and handsome that inspite of themselves they were drawn to Him like a magnet.they went and sat besides Him and started chanting with Him,soon the word spread that a mendicant who looked like the incarnation of God had arrived in the village.Radha who heard about the mendicant decided to consult Him about her predictment,as she was on her way,a heavy storm broke over the village,trees were uprooted,roofs of houses went hurtling down,it became dark and it seemed the whole world would come to an end,when everyone was trying to escape the fury of nature,to the amazement of the villagers,the mendicant sat unaffected under the tree lost in Gods name.

When the storm abated,the villagers came and offered food to the mendicant.They asked God why had a storm of this magnitude come and ravaged their village
“these are the symptoms of the age of kali”,replied God”misery will always come and visit you ,but if you to live in peace and harmony and love then a golden age will appear which will bestow happiness on all of you”
“but sir our village is a unique example of harmony and peace,we have never seen a quarrel or a crime in the last five hundred years”,said the village head”but these days the peaceful atmosphere in the village has been disturbed due to Mohan and Radha,by marrying each other they have committed a serious crime,since they have disobeyed our anscestors God has punished the whole village”
“God does not punish true lovers,love gives joy and happiness,love is the ultimate bliss for a humanbeing,Radha and Mohan are true lovers,their love is spiritual and not physical,there is a complete harmony between them in body,mind and soul,it is a divine love which has no flaws and separating true lovers is a great sin in the eyes of the God,every reflection of love comes from the one great lover,every lover has the manifestation of Gods love in him,therefore in human love we have a glimpse of love of God,God is therefore angry because you have come between true love”,said God
“Sir is right”,everyone said in a chorus,” we will go just now go and ask their forgiveness”,said the village head Just then Radha and Mohan were seen approaching God”here they come now all of you ask for their forgiveness”,ordered God.As commanded they all asked for forgiveness much to the delight and amazement of both the lovers,Mohan had a strong feeling that he had seen the mendicant before,”I think I have seen you some where sir”/Mohan said touching Gods feet in reverence.”God smiled and said,”you are a good soul therefore you see me everywhere and see everything in me,I am never lost to a true devotee and he is never lost to me,my devotees are never vanquished”God then got up,blessed the villagers and left the village


No comments:

Post a Comment