Saturday, October 16, 2010

WHEN GOD WALKED THE EARTH CHAPTER 8
God saves a woman from being run over by a train

After bringing peace into the valley God and Harry started back to Bombay where Harry had a house and a permanent job. They were waiting at the station for the train to arrive , when suddenely a woman with a baby in her arms was spotted by the commuters crossing the tracks,even as an announcement on the public address system warned every body to stay away from the track as a super fast train was about to cross that way, but due to the break neck speed at which it was approaching ,the woman was so terrified by the approaching train that she stood rooted to the spot. The commuters turned their faces away and closed their eyes to avoid seeing the ghastly sight, when God’s eyes fell on the woman, without a moments hesitation he jumped onto the tracks and pushed the woman onto the platform and He too climbed up to safety as the train trundled past. Goddess Laxshmi appeared before Him and said in an agitated voice, ”do you realize the enormity of what you have done just now? you would have been gravely wounded but for my timely intervention ,why do you have to take such risks ?have you forgotten that you have a human body and like every human you have to suffer because of your indiscretion”.
“I am sorry devi,I will always rember hence forth that I am in a human body and avoid taking risks”,said God in a palacating tone
The woman was trembling with fear and agitation.God made her sit on a bench and gave her a glass of water,he took the crying baby in His arms and quietened the child.When the woman seemed to have got over the shock,God rebuked her for putting her life and her child’s life in danger.”I am very sorry but I didn’t know what I was doing since I was not in my senses,the reason being my husband who is very ill and therefore unable to work and my children are turning mad with hunger.I went to my grocer from whom I buy my groceries regularly to ask for some grains ,but the grocer refused to give me anything although I promised to pay him his every pie once my husband started working again”.
Vizulising my children’s hungry faces,I begged softly,”please sir atleast give me a little rice otherwise my children will die of hunger,they have not eaten anything for the last two days ,but he was adamant and he pushed me away from his shop and I didn’t know what to do where to go, my mind went blank ,the only thing my mind asked me was food for my children, blindly without thinking I started crossing the tracks” ,she was quiet for a while and then she said in an agitated tone, ”why did you save us, we were better off dead, poverty is the worst thing on this earth ,and hunger can kill you, when you are hungry yourself; you will understand what I am saying ,but God forbid you reach our state ,My only prayers to God is that no one on this earth should face hunger”,
God knew very well what was hunger, he had experienced hunger pangs many times since He had donned the body of a human being” can you take me to the grocer?”,
“yes. .but why?, questioned the woman
“may be I can be of some help to you ”,was God’s reply She looked at His face and into His eyes and when she saw the love and kindness flowing from it she felt confident that she would get help from Him
As God started leaving with the woman ,Harry said to Him” where are you going with this woman ?you will miss the train because the train might arrive at any moment now”
“you go ahead my friend ,I will follow you, I have your address ”,replied God .On reaching the grocery shop, God requested the owner to give the woman the groceries she needed.
“I cannot do that ”,replied the grocer” she has no money and my policy is not to give things on credit”
“I do not want to break your principles but can you not give her the groceries against the weight of her grocery list?. asked God
The grocer looked at the small piece of paper in the woman’s hand and smiled, the Man must be joking the paper was so thin and small the woman would not get even a gram of rice against its weight, it would cost him nothing to humor this Man” okay I will do as you say”, said the grocer.
“you give me a solemn promise that you will not retract your statement” ,said God
“it’s a gentleman’s promise I will not go back on my words” ’was the grocers reply’
“God you are cheating the poor man”, said Goddess Laxshmi
“I am helping this hungry woman, do you know devi how hunger kills you/?.I know since I have experienced it many times. If I had money I would have purchased her everything she wanted,but I have no money on me,therefore I devised this way to help her,and don’t tell me devi I am cheating .All his life this man has been cheating people and now its his turn to be cheated ”’said God.
“come on lady put your grocery list on the scales and what ever your grocery list weighs I will give you that amount in groceries said the grocer hiding a smile
The woman hesitated a moment then she. scribbled some thing on the piece of paper and laid the piece of paper on the scale. The eyes of the grocer popped out in amazement when the scales went down, the grocer stared at the scales and then looked at God and exclaimed ,”I can not believe this” ,God gave him a beautific smile and said, ”do you want to go back on your promise?”.
“no ,I have given you a gentleman’s promise and I will stick by it ,no matter how many groceries I have to part with” .The grocer then started putting the groceries on the other side of the scale ,the scale did not balance and he continued to put more and more groceries on the scale and by the time the scale balanced more then half his shop was empty ,he felt completely cheated,he gave God a disgusted look and he grabbed the piece of paper from the scales and stared at it, it was not a grocery list but a prayer in which the woman had written ”Dear God you know in what condition I am in today, I am leaving everything in your hands ”,the grocer kept his promise and gave her all the groceries and stood in stunned silence whilst the woman happily gathered the groceries .God looked at him kindly and thanked him and then he said to him” no act of kindness goes in vain:, and left the shop .As the grocer stood there watching Him leave, a wave of happiness washed over him and covered him like a ray of bright sunshine, suddenely a change came over him and then he took a decision that from henceforth he would not live only for himself but would spend the rest of his life in service of fellow human beings.

No comments:

Post a Comment